Is Your Attitude Hurting Your Influence- Regardless of life it is important to stay focused on how we relate to other people… updated 01-11-23
The attitude and mannerisms of successful people are generally smooth, calm, and conquered. Their actions are controlled and are usually always within the parameters of being socially acceptable. Question: “Is your attitude hurting your influence?”
Most successful people who have learned how to influence others, at some point, looked at themselves to see where they might need to adjust their attitude and mannerisms. In other words, they monitor their consciousness of how they appear to other people when they are in a crowd, and/or alone. The positive person generates a positive experience wherever they are.
Prominent psychologist Gordon Allport once described attitudes as “the most distinctive and indispensable concept in contemporary social psychology.” Wikipedia
Mannerism- a habitual or characteristic manner, mode, or way of doing something; distinctive quality or style, as in behavior or speech — Dictionary
These individuals obviously have taken the time to evaluate other people’s annoying attitudes, based on their mannerisms. They know that sarcasm and disrespect for anyone is frowned upon.
The right attitude will project the right mannerisms when addressing, conversing, or intermingling with others. This dictates your influence. This is why we wanted to ask the question, “Is your attitude hurting your influence?”
If you desire to get other people’s attention quickly, just give them a sarcastic answer, a know-it attitude, a remark, or always a joke and you will receive it. Of course, that attention is not going to be positive. It will be negative and reduce your ability to become a person of greater influence.
The right attitude can inflict confidence, respect, honor, and knowledge. It will carry with it the ability to influence others in a positive light. However, the wrong attitude and uncontrolled impulses to always have the answers can cause disrespect and avoidance by others. The interruption of uncontrolled behaviors can be described as insecurities, fear, lack of discipline, disrespect for others, no self-respect, no scrutiny of self, and the inability to interact with other individuals.
What We Often See
- If you have ever watched other people interact in a crowd of people, you have probably noticed the person who is always making a joke about everything. Some may think it is cute, others wonder how in the world he/she has made it thus far in life if everything is a joke.
- Next is the person who walks up and interrupts the conversation without standing and waiting first to see what the conversation is about. He takes over the conversation with something that is totally off-script and could interrupt an important working concept.
- Then you have the person who is glaring across the room and has not heard a word you said, and you have just wasted your time trying to converse with him or her.
- You can also have the person who knows everything you have said already, takes over the conversation, and makes you look like a fool. (This is actually reversed.)
Additional reading- Top Ten Qualities of Successful People
Why Does A Positive Attitude Have An Influence On Other People
- It starts with being content and self-assured with the person that you are. People notice there is no hypocrisy, or “look at me,” I know what I am talking about person. They are naturally influencing others because of their own belief in themselves.
- A strong self-image radiates love and spirit and the people who are in your company, begin to feel a similar way.
- Having a positive demeanor is a pivotal feature for realizing success in all aspects of your life. Your disposition destines how you approach your life and is reflected in your occupation, business ventures, sporting efforts, and relationships.
- A winner’s attitude is essential for achieving your desires in life. People whom we applaud for achieving excellence would not have accomplished their dreams by living their lives with a detached disposition. The predominant ingredients for a victorious life are accepting yourself, being able to visualize your success, and living with the right attitude.
- A positive attitude produces a buoyant outlook on life. You will feel happier, healthier, and more energetic. Your belief in yourself and your talents will be amplified and by taking on an open and positive attitude your mind will be welcoming to the opportunities that will start to come your way.
- People with a negative attitude often become entirely immersed in their problems and are unable to see the opportunities that are presented to them. Once you teach your mind to automatically undertake a positive attitude your difficulties will not be as significant and you will have the ability to cope with them effortlessly.
Why Are People Drawn to Positive Individuals
Impulsively we are drawn toward the company of positive people. They have the ability to lift our spirits and make us feel good about life. Attitude, whether it’s positive or negative, is extremely infectious.
When an individual has a positive mannerism, it is uplifting to people and your essence will imitate the same vibration. When you choose to live your life with a positive attitude your spirit will be encircled with light energy which will magnetically draw people towards you.
Accomplishing your desires is entirely within your power, and finding that certain influential power will come with practice. However, you have to embark on life with a positive attitude and believe that whatever you desire can, and will achieve. If you connect this with a positive attitude you will be irrepressible.
The Person Everyone Wants To Talk To
Finally, as stated above, yes, you have the individual that everyone wants to talk to. All because they can see the positive within your life, life goals, and even how you move around in the crowd.
They can see the calm, and reserve, notice that you look people in the eye when you are talking, and know every word you have said. You will listen, they have your full attention, and you will respond with something that suits the conversation. If it is business, it will be intellectual, productive, and educational.
Influential individuals are not people who force themselves to stand out in the crowd. They just have a knack for being themselves, knowing when, and when not to speak up. They listen, observe, and their speech is consistent, and informative, and does not force the critique of anyone else.
Some people are just good at being influential and know how to make other people feel comfortable, easy to talk to, and without any hypocrisy. Their attitude is that all people’s thoughts are welcome and should be noticed. These kinds of individuals make excellent leaders.
If you have a good, positive, and sincere attitude, and watch your mannerisms you do not have to be brilliant to succeed. Your positive attitude with great mannerisms often get you the promotion, attention, and fulfillment of your dreams.
Linda- Yes I can speak from experience as I have managed, but also worked with many different personalities. I worked with excellent managers who allowed me to grow. However, there are times when you must take a step back, review your attitude, and then PRAY the other person does the same…shall we smile… 🙂