In Happiness-Positive Psychology, we study the principles of how to work on our emotions for a more positive lifestyle.
We see some people who appear to have a high level of enthusiasm and happiness, most of the time. We often question what those individuals do to keep their happiness level intact and wonder how they could possibly be happy most every time we see them. Therefore, with a little research here is what we have learned.
In Positive Psychology certain professional and one in particular by the name of Martin Seligman E.P. a Psychologist Educator states this:
“Use your signature strengths and virtues in the service of something much larger than you are.”
Generally, happy people have positive emotions, which help to invigorate more happiness and continued happiness. Positive emotions (which we have talked about before), are stated as the top ten:
We Learned In Research for Happiness-Positive Psychology, People with positive emotions seem to live longer…
These individuals have better health and enjoy life more. Their outlook on life is filled with:
- Hope and not despair.
- They have gratitude for the small things as well as the big ones, for instance, they woke up this morning.
- They are sincere individuals, not foolish, and are emphatic.
- Their pride in life is balanced with their solid foundation.
- They find amusement in themselves and do not take everything in life as a punishment to them.
- They are inspired live in awe they love and accept love.
What Is a Good Character?
Good Character according to Wikipedia is Morality, moral qualities, empathy, courage, fortitude, honesty, loyalty, or good behaviors or habits.
Mr. Seligman states that in his research he found that generally, people who are authentically, and continually happy have good character. With this thought, people with good character, those who are spiritual, and those who take it upon themselves to do no evil do not worry as much.
Virtues are a reference to your happiness within your life:
- Nobility, purity…and more
- Wisdom and knowledge
- Spirituality & transcendence
How do we find or have all of these virtues in life? The studies show that “the strengths” are the path through which one attains virtues. It also shows that talents are different from strengths. Talents are something that you are born with; while strength is something, you have developed with much work and effort.
So, how do we achieve this level of happiness, and not become overwhelmed with the living things that all humans face?
Stop Worrying…just live
Some things to push forward within your life in pursuing Happiness-Positive Psychology:
- Stop worrying about the past. It is done and cannot be undone. Accept it as learning lessons you will never forget. It has made you wiser, more courageous, given you patience (more than likely), and helped you to know that all people can fail.
- Worry does nothing to a problem or an issue but usually makes it larger than it really is. If you cannot resolve an issue, stop rehashing it in your mind. Time in some instances can cure a problem you have no control over.
- Wake up each day with hope for that day, as long as there is life; there is hope.
- Develop your strengths and thereby you will optimize your virtues.
- Every day, read the list of positive emotions above and strive for excellence in those areas.
You may also want to check out Positive Psychology
Laugh and Be Happy
Laugh, find something to laugh about, laugh at yourself, your dog, your cat, your significant other, and life’s many funny things. Take a walk in nature to see the glorious things that God has made.
Dwell on the good things in life, and know that happiness is “a soul satisfied with itself. “