Fixed Mindset vs Growth Mindset – let your hidden talents become known, let them grow with a growth mindset.
“Never give up on something that you cannot go a day without thinking about.” Winston Churchill
How Does The Fixed Mindset Work?
Individuals with a fixed mindset believe that there is no way to get better at anything. They believe that there is a fixed amount of human potential and that no matter how hard they strive, it is not going to happen.
These individuals are not interested in developing their potential as they do not see any value in it. They believe that there is no point in working for something they do not feel they can excel at. Their mindset is stuck in the past and they believe that they will never be able to improve.
The fixed mindset is often associated with people who do not believe that they can learn new things, or change what might need to be changed.
Why Do People Have A Fixed Mindset?
It can come down to the fact that people are not willing to work hard enough at something. They may not have the motivation to work hard enough to get better at something.
It can also come down to the fact that they have never received sufficient praise, encouragement, or recognition for their work. They also may not have had a childhood where they were praised for their natural abilities. They may not have had the encouragement and praise that they need to work hard at trying to accomplish something extraordinary.
Those who have a growth mindset believe that they can learn new things and that they can improve their skills. They believe that they can become better at what they already know, learn new ways of thinking, and change what needs to be changed.
Those who have a growth mindset believe if it can be done, they will do it. They believe that they can do anything that they put their mind to.
However, they know that one must work hard to get better at something. They know to get better at something, it takes learning new things, studying, implementing, and sometimes starting over again.
The growth mindset helps one to believe that things can change, including circumstances, intelligence, and abilities. This does not happen by just dreaming of chance or luck, it only happens with hard work and determination.
The Growth Mindset is Willing To Try New Things
Some people are afraid to try new things and change. They are afraid to try new things because they do not want to fail. They are afraid to fail because they are afraid that they will be embarrassed or that they will be seen as a failure.
With a growth mindset, the individual is willing to try new things because they realize you do not have to be perfect to try. You cannot grow without trying and if something new doesn’t work out, it still does not mean that you are a failure.
Is A Person’s Intelligence Set – there are probably talents within every individual that is dormant…
Re Psychology Today– Intelligence is not fixed at birth…
The fixed mindset believes that intelligence is set. It believes that intelligence is a fixed trait and cannot be altered or changed. However, that is not the case.
Think about the child who is just learning to walk. The child is not able to walk yet, but the child is willing to try. When the child is able to walk, the child at some point will be able to run.
Why do students seek higher education? What is the purpose of higher education? It is to help them become better and more educated and to help them make a better life. They realize they need higher education to be able to achieve their personal goals and become successful. The purpose of higher education is to help them get a better job, make more money, and have the life they desire.
The Growth Mindset believes that intelligence is not set. They believe even with higher education, there are still important aspects of any career goal, personal goal, or life goal that they need to work on.
Characteristics of An Individuals With A Growth Mindset
- The ability to learn from their mistakes and failures.
- Courage to tackle new challenges and take risks.
- Do not give up easily.
- They do not see failure as the end of the process.
- Even with other people involved, they are not into competition.
- They realize they can do a better job if they accept criticism and learn from their mistakes.
- One thing they know for sure is that you will never rise if you do not try and, love the challenge and enjoy the process of learning.
How To Build A Growth Mindset
You can develop the growth mindset by:
- Realize that perfection is not the goal.
- You cannot be afraid of change.
- You need to be willing to learn from others, and from your mistakes.
- There is a need to be willing to take risks.
- No one is perfect at all tasks.
- You need to be willing to accept that you may need to gain more insight, education, and experience.
- It is important to be willing to be flexible.
- You need to be willing to be open to new ideas and new ways of doing.
More Characteristics of a Growth Mindset
- Believe in yourself and your abilities.
- Get motivated and this means motivating yourself if necessary.
- Think positive thoughts.
- Don’t look around you to see what others are doing.
- Focus on what is right for you.
- Learn to be creative. Don’t be afraid to try new things.
- Know that everyone has something to offer.
- Do not look at the end result but focus on the process and never, never give up.
Things to Remember from Fixed Mindset vs Growth Mindset:
A growth mindset is not about being perfect or better than anyone else. It is about being better than you think you can be. The Growth Mindset is about being willing to endure that hard work and knowing that it is your attitude that will determine your success. It is knowing that it is your own responsibility to make it happen and another person cannot do it for you.
In conclusion in our Fixed Mindset vs Growth Mindset post, we want to make sure you know that you must get motivated to see the greatness within yourself.
Read more about Real Life Subjects