Happiness Comes From Within- if you are not happy with yourself, your happiness will not be complete…post update 07-14-23
“Happiness comes from within. You must be happy with yourself, your life, your surroundings. You cannot depend upon another human to make you happy. Why? Simply because they are busy making themselves happy.” *Linda
Table of Contents
How Does a Person Become Happy?
Being happy is probably not all about what you might think it is. Have you ever thought about what the habits of happy people are? With some study and thought about happiness and this wonderful ability called laughter, it is just like anything else in life. You must develop habits within your life that will help you stay happy beyond the moment.
Think about the smile of a baby, how sweet, how innocent, and how genuine. Think about something that brought sheer bliss to your life. These simple, yet often forgotten memories can bring a smile to our faces.
Where Does Happiness Come From?
It comes from a mind and heart that has decided they will take their life and make it happy just the way it is. Work to make it better, and laugh along the way.
Huffington Post printed back in 2013; that Martin Seligman, positive psychology stated, “that 60% of happiness is made up of genetics and environment. The rest of the 40 percent is up to us.”
Whether you agree or not, it does not take a psychology course to find a place to boost your happiness. It takes a mindset of knowing that everything you do, the decision you make, and the way you live; have an effect on your life and your happiness.
In addition, Dr. Wayne Dyer states that every decision, right or wrong is yours. When things go berserk, it is not family, friends, neighbors, or the enemy’s fault, it is yours and yours alone.
Once a person looks at their life, their reactions to their life, and why their life is what it is. It then becomes clearer why the happiness level is lower than what others appear to be.
However, happiness is self-acceptance and working on the things you do not feel good about in your life. You must love yourself as well as others.
Happy people are not always the ones who have the most “earthly” things in life. They have learned that “wealth” is not the key ingredient for happiness. Most seem to have found a place of knowing that happiness comes from within.
As a general rule, they are not boastful if they have material blessings. They are generous, kind, helpful, and give back.
Habits of Happy People:
- They know that happiness can grow in any soil, in any situation, and under any circumstances.
- Gratitude – They are thankful for today and today’s blessing as that is the only day they have for sure.
- They are responsible for their own happiness – knowing that not any other person can make them happy.
- Their pleasure is in family, friends, and what some people call the small stuff.
- They live by this: “Charity is patient, Charity is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, and it keeps no record of wrongs. Charity does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres… Now, these three remain faith hope, and Charity. But the greatest of these is Charity.”—Bible (I Corinthians 13:4-7, 13)
- The happy person does not break the rules of anything, especially life, and they take nothing for granted.
- They give to others, love, information, friendship, kindness, consideration, well wishes, praise, honor, respect, and without deceit.
- Jealousy is not in their vocabulary.
- They learn to laugh at everything, even themselves.
- Happy people usually accept life for what it is, and that they are responsible for how it plays out.
“Happiness is where we find it, but very rarely where we seek it.” J. Petit Senn
“No one can make you happy; you only can make yourself happy. Another person may help your happiness flow over, but what will happen if they leave? You have to find a place to go back to, so that your happiness does not leave too.” *
“All choices deliver a result, decisions cannot be made without consequences, battles are not fought without some scares, and life cannot be lived without some controversy. Accepting what life really is, and making the best of it; is a key to profound happiness.” *
“Learning to respect yourself will help you to have the confidence to live your life in harmony. Having respect for others, their views, their decisions (right or wrong); will help you stay focused on what you have control over. That control is your own happiness.”*
“Happiness is not having a pocket full of money. It is being content with one cent.” *
You may be thinking that life is not a laughing matter, and you are right; sometimes it just is not.
When a heart is heavy, from the loss of something essential to us; it is impossible to have a laugh inside or put forth the effort to find humor.
This is the time then just to be silent, grieve, and take time to heal.
Then there are times when we get low in spirit, and simply want to be left alone to mope. We are mad at the world, all God’s children, and even the cat. Often just need to feel sorry for ourselves, make the world go away, and start thinking downgrading thoughts.
This is when it is time to change your thoughts, your attitude, and your habits, and take responsibility for your life, again. The more you let yourself stay in this frame of mind, the lower you will get. So, find something that will make you laugh.
Here are some ways to laugh more, smile more, and be happy:
- Laugh at yourself. Most of us go around sullen when we could be laughing at ourselves if not something else.
- Watch the little animals; look at their little habits, how smart they are, and how their practices often put us to shame. They are content with licking themselves, scratching, eating, and rolling over. Laugh about it!
- What is the most embarrassing moment you have ever had? Were you in front of people or alone? Was it really something that was devastating or was it something that made you look silly? If it did not hurt another soul, then it is time to L A U G H about it!
- Look in the mirror when you are getting ready for the day, before applying makeup, or just brushing your teeth. Would you want anyone else to see you? Probably not! Laugh about it!
- Remember the fun you had on your first date.
- Think about the time you forgot to brush your teeth when you went on a date.
- How about the time when your childhood best friend spent the night with you?
- Your first kiss.
- What about your first paycheck?
- The first time you learned how to drive.
- What about all the times you threw your dinner in the garbage?
- Think about when you held your child for the first time.
- How your parents did without things so that you could have better?
- Think about your first pet.
- The first shave and how grown up you felt.
- Think about how anxious your parent was when teaching you to drive.
- Remember and think about what you have learned so far in your life.
Sit down somewhere and just laugh…for no reason…you can do it. Laugh at why you are laughing. Then it will just flow…and your Happiness will flow...
*quotes by this author