10 Ways To Improve Your Relationships – this includes work, friends, additional family members, and more…stay focused on the good stuff and try to see what is behind the not-so-good before responding… post updated 01-13-23
To enjoy full happiness in life, we know that our relationships need to meet certain standards. In life, we have all kinds of relationships with people. They consist of love, family, friends, business, and career relationships.
Maintaining a good relationship with all of these different personalities can seem next to impossible. However, it really isn’t that hard if you absolutely want to make your relationships stand out.
It is very important for our own personal sanity and happiness to maintain good personal and business relationships with people. To be an influence and stand out in a crowd usually means that you can talk to anyone, about anything, and enjoy the conversation.
Table of Contents
How Does One Learn More About Life And Developing Better Relationships
Listening: You have probably heard the saying that we learn by listening. That is true in all relationships as we can learn more about how to fit in with others. We listen to what people have to say, and it makes them feel important. It does not matter who it is, or what their intelligence is, everyone should be heard, listened to, and given respect.
Communication: One of the biggest privileges we have as humans is the ability to communicate with one another in deep and meaningful ways. No other living creatures have the ability to relate with one another on the level that humans do. While there are many ways that we experience depth in relationships, few things are as significant and powerful in our search for connection as good conversation.
If you think about it, it is quite amazing that humans have the ability to grow up in entirely separate households, cities, and sometimes cultures and still be able to have intelligent and meaningful conversations with one another. A child born in the center of London and a child born in the middle of nowhere in Canada could meet and share a conversation because they both have the ability to communicate in the same language. Amazing.
Because the ability to communicate in-depth with other humans is one of our most distinguished privileges, we should never take that ability for granted. Instead, we should do all we can to increase our ability to have good conversations with the people around us.
Think about all of the opportunities you have each day to engage another human being in a conversation. You can talk to rocks, trees, or your favorite stuffed animal for as long as you want and you will never get a response. Saying something as simple as “hello” to another person can elicit a response.
Sound and Proven Ways To Have Good Conversations-is an important part of our 10 Ways To Improve Your Relationships…
One of the best ways to get good at conversations with other people is simply to practice. Take every opportunity that presents itself to learn the art of making good conversation with other people.
Start by saying hello to the people you pass on the street. Ask the person who is checking you out at the grocery store or the teller at the bank how they are doing and ask if they are enjoying their day. Learn to respond with more than just one word when someone asks you a question. You will be surprised at how quickly you learn about the conversation by doing small things such as these.
One of the things that are necessary for getting good at conversation is to really care about people and the things that they care about. It will be much easier to have a good conversation with someone if you are engaged and really care about the things they are saying.
There is nothing worse than trying to carry on a conversation with someone that is disinterested in it. So commit to asking people questions that you really want to know the answers to and you’ll be a step ahead when it comes to making great conversation.
The ability to have a good conversation is valuable because it is unique to humans. Enjoy the privilege you have to learn from others and share wisdom with them by getting good at conversation.
10 Ways to Improve Your Relationships- How You Relate to The People Around You For More Happiness
1. Know you – Know your needs, preferences, struggles, wants, and strengths. If you know yourself, then you know what you bring to the table in terms of your relationships. You will not feel resentment towards others if you know where you stand.
2. Know the other person – Take the time to get to know other people. Ask them questions about their life, and happiness, and find out what makes them tick. Be open to different points of view and do not spit all over them, but also respectfully share yours.
3. Do not value your worth – Whether or not you are married, have a family, or have 200 friends, doesn’t matter. You come off needy if you think you always have to be everyone’s friend or be in a romantic relationship.
4. Let others live, love, and share – Other people’s choices generally have little impact on our own lives, so let others live the way they want. Loving others means you do not put conditions on your love. Sharing creates harmony.
5. Try to understand other people’s perspectives – People come from all lifestyles with different experiences. If you understand, where someone is coming from and what his or her motivations, reasons, and actions stem from, then you can build a relationship with that person easier.
6. Be prepared for conflict – No two people are alike. Therefore, no matter how well you may seem to hit it off with someone you will always end up having disagreements. It is how you handle these disagreements, and conflicts that will set the tone for your entire relationship. You cannot just give up on someone the minute things are not all sunshine and roses. You have to build on things and come to an understanding.
7. Take responsibility – Sometimes we say or do things that hurt others. It might not have been intentional, but you have to be able to step up and take responsibility, and own your actions. Nobody likes to be blamed for everything and if you are always, pointing fingers at others, then eventually you will have no one.
8. Grow together – You are not the same person you were 10 years ago. You have to be willing to grow with someone and accept the changes that come with that. Help a person grow and develop their strengths. Be supportive of the changes that are being made.
9. Nurture your relationships – You cannot expect a relationship without working to maintain it. You have to communicate and make time for others. If you do not take care of your relationships to make the appropriate amount of time given the type of relationship, then you run a very high risk of losing it.
10. You must have trust, faith, and belief – Believing in people and trusting them is not always easy, especially if you have been hurt before. You cannot expect everyone to treat you poorly though and you have to believe and trust that others can be different. You also need to be someone who can be trusted as well. So stand behind others and believe in them and do not talk behind their back because then they will lose trust in you.
Balance Within Your Life
Balance in life contributes to developing and maintaining good relationships. All things in life need this kind of quality. If and when you have a balanced life you are more likely to be a person who is calm, settled, authentic, compassionate, and a good listener. This sounds similar to “Emotional Intelligence (EI)”. Balance in one’s life helps others to be balanced, calmer, and more capable of uniting.
Maintaining relationships with people is very important. In addition, if you follow some of these steps, then you should be able to maintain both personal and business relationships. The important people you need or want to be in a relationship with. Having satisfying relationships contributes to your level of happiness.